Throwback to 169 days in South Korea - Seoul Edition

8/08/2015

At Gyeongbokgung in spring.
At Gyeongbokgung in spring.
At the Cheongyecheon, near Jongno-3-ga. 
Namsan Tower. 
The night view from Namsan Tower.  
Lantern display during Buddha's birthday. 
At the Gwangjang market.
Unarguably the best brunch I've had in Korea, from Murmur de Margem. (It's located near Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, where I was at.)
The view of the Gamcheon river from Yeoui-do.
Some parts of the Berlin wall in City Hall. 
From the Namdaemun market, a great place to get souvenirs and try dishes from their roadside stalls. 
Catching a baseball match at the Jamsil Stadium.  
The view from the 63 building. 
At Lotte World. The only amusement park in Seoul, located at Jamsil. 
It’s been a year since I came back to Singapore from my exchange semester in Korea and I must say, staying away from home really changes a person. Especially when it’s for such an extended period of time. Moving away from your comfort zone puts you out there to experience and try out new things. Being away from your parents, friends and family, takes away the judgement you feel when you’re doing something wild and gives you a fresh slate to start from. Sort of like a sense of liberation.
The experience also helps you connect and find out more about yourself. You push your boundaries and that’s where you know where they lie. For example, while I consider myself “garang” (brave) enough to hitch hike at night in Jeju Island with 2 other female friends, I have not and definitely will not try the live octopus and some other weird delicacies Korea has to offer.
Korea was great and I think one of the reasons why I enjoyed myself so much was because I was constantly travelling. While I wanted to travel the region as well, I have been to Taiwan and I was put off Japan because of the radiation scares in Tokyo. Anyays, because of those reasons, I travelled within Korea rather extensively those 5 months, covering major tourist areas like Busan and Jeju Island and other cities as well such as Yeosu, Suncheon and Andong. I think travelling, no matter where, is always a great experience. While travelling in Korea, I understood more about their culture, experienced the warmth and generoristy of Koreans and enjoyed noting the nuances between the different cities.

It’s only been just a year since I got back and I’m already missing the place. My friends, who went on exchange with me, and I are planning a return trip in summer sometime next year. Honestly, I can’t wait. To be back to eat Hanjeongsik, Haemultang, have Busan’s Hotteok, Andong’s Jimdak and Jeonju’s Bibimbap and to visit Changdeokgung, view sunrise at Jeongdongjin all over again is just such a wonderous thought. I can’t wait!

P.S. Since I have so many photos to share I thought this post would just have all my photos from Seoul alone. I'll have another post on the other cities up ASAP. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright 2015. Powered by Blogger.

Pinterest